Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekend Quickie: What’s in My Browser Cache

The Mao mango cult of 1068 and the rise of China’s working class. (Collectors Weekly)


Taiwan ex-colonel gets life term for spying for China. (Al Jazeera)

When I was young, one of my father’s closest friends was “Major” – that was it. Of the age and the upbringing – then and now – to call everyone male, Chinese, and older than me by “Uncle”, I nevertheless questioned his name. He’d left Taiwan with his two young children in a hurry, with barely anything else; he returned to the country, under some compelled circumstances, about 15 years ago. I always hope I’ve never read about him.


So what’s in a name? Everything, and nothing. “Conversely, children with Asian-sounding names (also measured by birth-record frequency) were met with higher expectations, and were more frequently placed in gifted programs”. (New Yorker )


Chen Guangiao is the greatest man in the country continent world room, self-proclaimed. (Business Insider)


chen_guangbiao_business-card

(Photo: Adam Taylor/Business Insider)


BMW’s China-only deal: buy a Rolls-Royce, get a chauffeur lesson (for your driver, not you, of course!) for free. (Bloomberg Businessweek)


No comments:

Post a Comment